Effective Tuesday, March 31 at 8:00am Governor Murphy has added Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL) to the list of essential businesses; however, they must operate under the following provisions:
1. FFL may remain open to the public only for the purpose of completing the portions of a sale or transfer that must be conducted in-person under state and/or federal law and for the purpose of product maintenance and repair services;
2. All in-person sales or transfers shall be conducted by appointment and during limited hours so as to minimize congregation of persons and;
3. FFL must operate in accordance with the social distancing and other protocols currently in place.
The Warren Township Police will still accept new applications for Firearms Identification Cards and Permits to Purchase handguns through the FARS System; however, the background investigation process and issuing of those items will be significantly delayed during the COVID-19 health crisis. Please keep in mind that Permits to Purchase handguns are only good for 90 days before they have to be renewed by the Chief of Police for an additional 90 days. If you choose to still apply during this time, you will be contacted when your documents are ready and be provided with the temporary procedures to retrieve them.
Requirements for obtaining a Firearms Identification Card and Permit to Purchase a Handgun in New Jersey are quite rigorous and vary depending on each individual’s situation. Please refer to the New Jersey State Police Website at www.njsp.org for further information.
Please email Det. Michael Dollard at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS)
- ALL applicants must visit the website https://njportal.com/NJSP/FARS.
- Upon clicking the orange ‘Online S.T.S. 033 Form’ button, type in the ORI number NJ0182000. The ORI number MUST be entered correctly. Failure to enter the proper ORI number will result in your application having to be voided and loss of all money paid.
- You can complete the online application utilizing a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. During the application process, you will be asked to provide the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Please advise your references that they will be sent a questionnaire via email and to answer the questions as soon as possible to help expedite the process.
- Following completion of the online application, you must respond to the Warren Township Police Department located at 44 Mountain Blvd Warren, NJ 07059, between 8:30am – 3:30pm Monday – Friday, and provide exact cash or check payment for your Initial Firearms Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permits. Additionally, you must bring a valid form of identification. Initial applicants must also bring a copy their birth certificate or passport.
Note: Your application will not be processed until payment is received.
- Fees (Non-refundable):
$5 for Initial Firearms ID Card (replacement/change of address cards have no charge)
$2 for EACH permit
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the process; however, you will be contacted by a Warren Township Police Department representative when your Firearms ID card/Permits to Purchase are ready to be picked up. DO NOT respond to police headquarters based upon an automated email.
- The on-line application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers and email addresses for yourself and references. Investigations will typically be completed in 5-8 weeks.
The falsification of any information on any application or related document is a crime of the third degree under N.J.S. 2C: 39-10.c.
A Firearms Identification Card.
A Firearms Identification Card and a permit to purchase a handgun for each one you wish to purchase. The permits are valid for 90 days; however you can only by one handgun every 30 days. A onetime extension of the permit(s) can be requested for an additional 90 days from the date of expiration. The extension must be requested prior to the permit(s) expiring.
You should plan of the process taking anywhere from six to eight weeks.
All fingerprinting for firearms applicants must be conducted by the state contracted vendor, Identogo.
Your initial Firearms Identification Card will cost $5.00 and each permit will cost $2.00. A personal check made out to the Warren Twp. Police Department or exact cash will be accepted. Additional fees required by the New Jersey State Police may also apply.
Yes. If your legal address has changed to Warren Twp., you must apply for a new Firearms Identification Card from the Warren Twp. Police Department. There is no cost for a change of address card and you do not have to be fingerprinted again.
Visit http://www.nrainstructors.org to find available and upcoming firearms training classes.