Requirements for obtaining a Firearms Identification Card and Permit to Purchase a Handgun in New Jersey are quite rigorous and vary depending on each individual’s situation. Please refer to the New Jersey State Police Website at www.njsp.org for further information.
Please email Det. Michael Dollard at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Applicants who submit applications after October 1, 2020 will no longer receive a carbon copy handgun permit. All permits will be issued electronically as E-Permits through the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS). Beginning April 1, 2021, all Firearms Identification Cards will also be issued electronically through FARS.
Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS)
- ALL applicants must visit the website https://njportal.com/NJSP/FARS.
- Upon clicking the orange ‘Online S.T.S. 033 Form’ button, type in the ORI number NJ0182000. The ORI number MUST be entered correctly. Failure to enter the proper ORI number will result in your application having to be voided and loss of all money paid.
- You can complete the online application utilizing a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. During the application process, you will be asked to provide the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Please advise your references that they will be sent a questionnaire via email and to answer the questions as soon as possible to help expedite the process. If an error is made in your references email address, please contact Det. Dollard ([email protected]enpolice.com) or Tara Spiro ([email protected]) to make any corrections.
- Fees (Non-refundable):
$5 for Initial Firearms ID Card (replacement/change of address cards have no charge) and $2 per handgun purchase permit. Any application including a firearms ID card, you will be required to make payment when your card and/or permits are issued. Once your application is submitted, you will be contacted by this agency to submit payment before your application will be processed.
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the process; however, you will be contacted by a Warren Township Police Department representative when your Firearms ID card is ready to be picked up. DO NOT respond to police headquarters based upon an automated email.
- The on-line application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers and email addresses for yourself and references. Investigations will typically be completed in 5-8 weeks.
The falsification of any information on any application or related document is a crime of the third degree under N.J.S. 2C: 39-10.c.
A Firearms Identification Card.
A Firearms Identification Card and an E-Permit to purchase a handgun for each one you wish to purchase. The permits are valid for 90 days; however you can only by one handgun every 30 days. Unused Permits will automatically be extended an additional 90 days, at no cost.
You should plan of the process taking anywhere from six to eight weeks.
All fingerprinting for firearms applicants must be conducted by the state contracted vendor, Identogo.
Your initial Firearms Identification Card will cost $5.00. A personal check made out to the Warren Twp. Police Department or exact cash will be accepted. Additional fees required by the New Jersey State Police may also apply.
Yes. If your legal address has changed to Warren Twp., you must apply for a new Firearms Identification Card from the Warren Twp. Police Department. There is no cost for a change of address card and you do not have to be fingerprinted again.
Visit http://www.nrainstructors.org to find available and upcoming firearms training classes.