What is “Exploring?”
Exploring is for young men and women of high school age. The intent of law enforcement Exploring is to educate and involve youth in police operations and to interest them in law enforcement functions whether they enter police work or not. Exploring can further each Explorers education, encourage the Explorers participation in a rewarding and productive service activity, and enhance the Explorers preparation for future roles as citizen and community members. Besides gaining a working knowledge of police work, the participants have the opportunity to give of themselves to their community.
What Do Explorers Do?
Explorers can volunteer at community events doing security work, directing traffic, fingerprinting small children, and helping with Crime Prevention Programs.
Programs. Members can also learn first hand how Police Officers do their jobs. Officers and Detectives with special skills are invited to meetings to explain how the different divisions of the Police Department operate.
Law enforcement posts conduct a variety of programs and projects featuring safety, training, and service. The following listing is an example of some of the activities and training in which the Explorers may participate.
- The history of law enforcement
- Introduction to law enforcement
- Note taking and study habits
- Patrol procedures
- Traffic control
- Accident investigation and forms
- Criminal investigation
- Crime scene investigation
- Search and arrest procedure
- Crowd control procedures
What Other Benefits:
Being an Explorer offers many opportunities to learn valuable leadership skills, make new friends, deal with the public and have fun! Each summer, the Warren Police Explorers attend a Regional Law Enforcement Explorer Conference, which is hosted by different cities every year.
- Applicants must be a resident of Warren Township, Watchung Borough, or Green Brook Township.
- Applicant must be 14–20 years of age and a U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must not have a prior arrest record or serious traffic violations.
- Applicant must be physically fit.
- Upon acceptance into the program, the applicant must maintain a “C” average in Scholastic studies. Once an Explorer graduates from high school, he/she must enroll in at least two courses per semester at an accredited college.
How To Apply:
An application can be picked up at the Warren Twp. Police Department (front lobby) or in the Watchung Hills Regional High School, School Resource Officers (S.R.O.) office. Completed applications can be turned into the police dispatch window or S.R.O. office.
Applications can also be obtained by clicking the following links (both must be completed and returned):