The Warren Township Police Department, in cooperation with Watchung Hills Regional High School, is committed to providing the high school with a safe learning environment. Since 2007, the Warren Township Police Department has placed a full time uniformed School Resource Officer (SRO) in the high school while classes are in session.
The SRO serves as a counselor, role model, and advocate for students, families, faculty, and staff. The SRO is a recognized and approachable resource for students/faculty during and after school, at school events and when needed at the Warren Township public schools (Elementary and Middle Schools).
Goals of the SRO program are to:
- Create and maintain a safe, secure, and orderly learning environment for students, parents, and teachers
- Bridge the gap between law enforcement and students and to increase positive attitudes toward law enforcement
- Educate students in topics such as drivers education, drug and alcohol abuse, and sound and logical decision making
- Provide support and training for school staff on issues of juvenile law and school safety
- Protect students and faculty from intruders, conduct criminal investigations, and handle any police related matters that may arise.